Art On The Rocks, Marquette

. June 30, 2019.
Art on the Rocks

By Trilby Becker

Art on the Rocks is a respected art show, attracting over 140 artists and 10,000 people each year. In 2019, over the weekend of July 27th and July 28th, the show will celebrate its 61st annual fine art and crafts festival in Mattson Lower Harbor Park, between Marquette’s historic downtown and the Cinder Pond Marina on beautiful Lake Superior. To ensure that the displayed artwork continues to meet the highest standards, 30 percent of the show is made up of artists invited based on a scoring system used by show judges, and the other 70 percent are selected through a jury process.

Elmwood Mattson Lower Harbor Park | Marquette, MI.
July 27 and 28
For more information, visit: festivalnet.com and marquetteartontherocks.com
Free

Trending

Casablanca: Comfortable, Down-To-Earth Moroccan Cuisine

Casablanca, on Washtenaw, close to Downtown Ypsilanti, has a comfortable, down-to-earth atmosphere, hiding it’s 35-year-ago provenance as a Taco Bell. The manager/owner, Mohammad Mohammad, is hands-on, ensuring satisfaction for each customer, assuring that each dish placed on the table is properly presented. The abundant natural light from ample windows gives the dining area a warm,

Cullen Washington, Jr.’s Meditations On Interconnectedness, Vivility, Democracy And Inclusion

In Ancient Greece, the agora was a central public space, meaning “gathering place” or “assembly.” The agora served as a political, commercial and social hub and was also where Socrates found himself in trouble because of his philosophical inquisitions. In The Public Square, an exhibit on view at the University of Michigan Museum of Art

Third Monk Brewery: Empowering Local Performers With Licensing Agreements

Jeff Robinson can hear the music of the brew. After working as an audio engineer for nearly 30 years, the owner of South Lyon’s Third Monk Brewing doesn’t see that career as dissimilar: “…malt is the bass,” he says, “and hops are the treble, and the yeast is the mastering. I can take components of

Courtroom installation explores what is fair and equitable in the legal system

We human beings are a storytelling species. Our social institutions— religious, legal and cultural— are based on narratives that may be fanciful or fact-based or influenced by precedent. But they are also ever-evolving. Throughout the winter and spring of 2020, Courtney McClellan, this year’s Roman J. Witt Artist in Residence at the University of Michigan