- So long, farewell: After being open for almost two decades, Ann Arbor favorite 1850s themed night club, the Circus Bar, will permanently close after the ninth of February.
- For the love of Jewelry: Princess Designs in Kerrytown has officially closed. The owner (Jones) is moving out of state to take care of her aging parents. But, all is not lost! You can still get her one-of-a kind jewelry online at her Etsy site, etsy.com/shop/jaspersjewels
- Massage please: Soothe, the fastest-growing on-demand massage and wellness company is now in Ann Arbor. So if you aren’t up for the troublesome drive to the spa, Soothe will happily deliver a licensed, vetted and certified massage therapist to you, wherever you might be! 1-800-960-7668 or soothe.com
- Moving up: A four-story development is planned for the northeast corner of Jefferson and Ashley streets in Ann Arbor. The highrise will consist of 21 two-bedroom condos and a handful of three bedroom penthouse units with rooftop patios.
- Hail to the victors: Swimming app, MySwimPro, created by University of Michigan graduates, Adam Oxner and Fares Ksebati, has been named Apple Watch App of the Year.
- Moving closets: Vintage clothing store, Friend’s Closet, has moved to Cross Street in Ypsilanti.
- New name: Sabor Latino is changing its name to Agave Tequila Bar with the restaurant’s relaunch.
- Get in the groove: Grove Studios, a rehearsal and performance space for the community, opened in January. The facility encourages collaboration and supporting new creative communities.
- Fresh bread: Authentic Mexican food spot, Tmaz Taqueria, has finished renovation and opened the bakery portion of the restaurant.
- A taste of Canada, eh? Lovers of smothered french fries rejoice in the expected opening of Smoke’s Poutinerie on South University in the former Dick Tyler’s Tavern space
- Way to go: Muth Law, P.C. The Washtenaw County Bar Association has voted Benjamin Muth their 2017 Outstanding New Lawyer.
- The perfect combination: Siris, a barbeque restaurant with a craft beer bar and cigar lounge will soon be opening at 207 N. Main St.
- A new harvest: The grand opening of Fresh Thyme Farmers Market on Washtenaw in Ypsilanti is scheduled for February 1.
- Medicine in the mitten: The UM Health System is changing its name to Michigan Medicine.
- Ali’s got a new face: The Packard Street Ali Baba’s will soon
be finished with the face lift to the building.
- More beautiful mugs: The Ugly Mug is rebranding and changing its name to Cross Street Coffee.
- Finger-lickin’: Ann Arbor Chef, Frank Fejeran, is opening a new fried chicken restaurant, Ma Lou’s Fried Chicken, as a tribute to his fellow chicken-lover and grandmother, Louise.
- #VapeLife: Exscape Smoke Shop & Vape Lounge has opened a new location on E. Williams Street.
It goes without saying that Laith Al-Saadi is a treasure of the Ann Arbor music community. But if you haven’t yet experienced this bipedal force of nature with his signature beard, shredding guitar, and astonishing singing voice, then clear your schedule next Saturday… Laith Al-Saadi’s Annual Birthday Bash Sept 29 The Michigan Theater 8pm INFO
If you’ve been following the pages (printed or online) of Current this past year, then you’ve probably heard a bit about Grove Studios already. Grove is a grassroots effort to provide musicians and artists from all around the Detroit metro area and western Washtenaw County a rehearsal and creative space for their work and development.
The Audiotree Music Festival returns to Kalamazoo’s Arcadia Creek Festival Place next Saturday and Sunday. The lineup features more than 20 artists, including Father John Misty, Khruangbin, Chicano Batman, Diet Cig, and many more! While the names we dropped in the previous paragraph are nationally renowned artists signed on to notable labels like Sub Pop or
Genres are irrelevant. No one proves that assertion better than Detroit’s saajtak. Formed five years ago at U-M’s School of Music, saajtak’s made quite an impression with their stormy fusion of free jazz, noise experimentation, electronica, space-rock and opera. Their newest EP, Hectic, came out earlier this summer. Hectic EP by saajtak Thurs, Sept 13 saajtak