All posts by Jeff Kass

Repurposed for refueling: Detroit Street Filling Station

Once upon a time in Ann Arbor— specifically beginning in 1925 when it first opened— the building at 300 Detroit Street served to fuel automobiles as the Staebler Family Oil Company. Some forty years later, it shifted to offering a different kind of fuel when it became the Ann Arbor Fish Market, and its drive-through front area was closed off with white stucco, creating the triangular-shaped edifice still in existence today.

Winter Month Warming Shelters Open

For the fourth year, the City of Ann Arbor and Washtenaw County will jointly fund both warming centers and havens for the city’s homeless population during severe cold weather